Can't find what you are looking for? Call our customer support at 1300 856 710 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Experience membership benefits like nowhere else with ABN.
Explore all the products and services which makes up your ABN membership.
Meet the team at Australian Bookkeepers Network.
Find out how a bookkeeper can help your business.
Protect your Bookkeeping Business with ABN's PI Partners.
Protect your business with Cyber Insurance
How ABN gives back to the community
ABN is committed to providing professional development opportunities for bookkeepers.
Members can access Australian Bookkeepers Network's (ABN) bookkeeper contract samples, quote templates, agreement letters & much more.
Wondering how to become a registered bookkeeper? Here's an outline of what to expect when working as one and the steps required to become certified.
Who is ABN BAS and how can they assist BAS and non-BAS Agents
View the full list of services provided by ABN BAS
Do you want to become a registered BAS Agent but you're not sure where to start? We've provided an outline of the qualifications and registrations required for this profession.
Explore the requirements for gaining relevant experience
Frequently asked questions about ABN BAS
ABA is a recognised professional bookkeeping association for BAS agents by the Tax Practitioners Board.
Benefits of the ABA Membership
Join Australian Bookkeepers Association today
Australian Bookkeepers Association (ABA) is governed by a Board of Directors
View the ABA Constitution, By-Laws and other current documentation relevant to your membership.
A summary of the essential membership rules which have been extracted from ABAs By-Laws and Constitution.
Code of Professional Conduct for BAS Agents
All the Latest from ABN on the COVID-19 Crisis
All the latest news and events from the Bookkeeping Industry
All your Industry events in one handy location.
Meet other bookkeepers, learn new skills, and earn CPE with ABN Coffee Clubs
Hear from prominent industry figures on current industry trends, technology and innovation
Celebrate Global Bookkeeping Week with ABN & ABA
Australia's leading Bookkeeper Event!
ABA Tech Talk
To report through STP for your clients you must be a registered tax or BAS agent as this activity falls under the provision of a BAS service.
In the provision of payroll services, you as the provider are interpreting and applying a taxation law, which includes a BAS provision and where lodging with the ATO, you are representing the client in their dealings with the Commissioner hence it would be reasonable to expect that your client will rely on those services. This includes events where you reports employee payroll information through the use of STP enabled software.
Many of the services that a payroll service provider may offer clients fall under the definition of a tax agent service (including a BAS service).
Payroll related services include, but are not limited to:
• Processing payroll on behalf of the employer
• Assisting employers with termination and redundancy payments
• Assisting employers to calculate their PAYG withholding liability
• Assisting employers to calculate their super guarantee liability
• Dealing with superannuation payments made through a clearing house
• Determining and reporting the superannuation guarantee shortfall amount and any associated administrative fees
• Performing any payroll related functions that involve interpreting legislation
• A payroll compliance review where the payroll service provider is offering an assessment or judgement as to whether their client is compliant with their taxation obligations under one or more taxation laws
• Preparation and delivery of a payment summary that could also include Reportable Fringe Benefits Amounts (RFBA) and the Reportable Employer Superannuation Contributions
• Sending a TFN declaration to the Commissioner on behalf of a client
• The preparation and/or lodgement of documents with the ATO on behalf of a client
• The reporting of employee payroll information through the use of STP enabled software.
Reminder: Ensure you have the appropriate documentation in place with your clients.